Step 3—Pay SEVIS Fee and Obtain Student Visa

A valid F-1 student visa is required for entry into the United States. Canadian citizens do not require visas but are required to present the I-20 at the port of entry.

A. All international students: Before applying for a student visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate, you must pay the I-901 SEVIS fee at Detailed information on the SEVIS fee can be found at

B. International students residing outside the U.S.: You must apply for the F-1 student visa at the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Visit for information about your nearest Consulate's process for non-immigrant visa applications and to download the visa application form. When you apply for your visa, you will need to show a valid passport, proof that you have paid the SEVIS fee, your I-20, and proof of funding available to pay your expenses.

For more information on applying for visas, visit the NAFSA website.

C. International students who are attending a U.S. high school or a U.S. English language school: SDSU will issue your I-20 when your current school transfers your SEVIS record to SDSU. You must notify your International Student Advisor at your school of your intent to transfer to SDSU. SDSU does not have a transfer-in form; therefore your admission letter should serve as evidence of your acceptance to SDSU. The adviser at your school needs to transfer your SEVIS I-20 record to SDSU. The SDSU SEVIS School Code: SND214F00142000.

NOTE: When entering the U.S., you will need to present your I-20 and valid F-1 visa to the immigration official. Canadian citizens must present the I-20, financial documentation, and proof of SEVIS payment.

If you have any questions about the SEVIS fee or F-1 visa, you may contact the International Student Center at