Step 4—Submit Proof of English Proficiency
All international first-time freshmen applying to SDSU must submit one of the following as proof of English proficiency:
- TOEFL 80 iBT/ 550 PBT or higher: Scores are sent electronically from Educational Testing Service (ETS) to SDSU using the Institution Code 4682. Test score must be from within the past two years.
- IELTS overall score of 6.5 or higher: Score report must be sent directly to SDSU Office of Admissions in a sealed envelope. The test score must be from within the past two years.
- Completion of SDSU’s American Language Institute Level 106 course with a minimum overall GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- ACT English section: Score of 22 or higher.
- SAT Critical Reading score of 500 or higher or SAT Writing section score of 680 or higher or Redesigned SAT Evidence Based Reading and Writing Score of 550 or higher.
- Higher Level International Baccalaureate (IB) exam: Score 4 to 7.
- Advance Placement (AP) Test (Language & Composition or Literature & Composition): Score 3 or higher.
Deadline to Submit Proof of English Proficiency
The deadline to submit the proof of English proficiency will be indicated in your SDSU WebPortal account under "Admission Status".
Guidelines for Submitting TOEFL and IELTS Test Scores
- Your name on your TOEFL test must match the name on your Cal State Apply application. If the spelling of your name does not match exactly, it will cause a delay in processing your score. If you submitted your scores and the names do not match, contact International Admissions.
- If you did not specify SDSU as an institution to receive your test results at the time of your TOEFL test, you may contact the Educational Testing Service (ETS) by calling (609) 771-7267 to request that your score is sent to SDSU (institution code: 4682). ETS charges a fee for the additional request. A minimum score of 80 on the iBT is required.
- Contact IELTS for instructions on sending your score to SDSU. A minimum overall score of 6.5 is required.