Parents of Admitted Students
Dear Future Aztec Parent:
As the parents of a San Diego State University student, we can personally tell you how the university has embraced us, as parents, to be partners in our daughter’s education. We stay connected through our involvement with the Aztec Parents Association, a dynamic volunteer organization dedicated to keeping parents involved and supporting programs and services for SDSU students.
As parents, we walk a fine line balancing our love and concern, while trying not to intrude on the developmental process of our sons and daughters “leaving the nest” and going off to college. Membership in the Aztec Parents Association is a great way to achieve that balance.
SDSU is unique in that it recognizes that parent involvement plays a key role in the success of our students. Membership in the Aztec Parents Association will make it easy and convenient for you to stay connected and keep in touch with what’s going on at the university. You will be informed about university issues and new opportunities for your student. You will also be invited to exciting activities and events. And through the years, whenever you have a question or concern, you will have a knowledgeable, personal contact on campus who will be there for you.
By attending Parent Orientation this summer, you will automatically become a member of the Aztec Parents Association. We encourage you to join us in promoting student success at SDSU!
Les & Connie McClafferty-Helley
Parents of Michelle, Class of 2013
Aztec Parents Advisory Board Members
Attend Parent Orientation, which runs concurrently with your student’s New Student Orientation program during the summer. This is an important first step in the university experience for both parents and students. Research shows that students who bring parents to orientation are more likely to earn a higher grade point average and persist to graduation.
By attending orientation, parents will:
- Learn how to contribute to the personal development and academic success of their student
- Learn what it means to be a member of the SDSU community
- Learn about academic programs, including General Education and graduation requirements and student support services
- Meet faculty, staff and current students
Best of all, parents attending orientation automatically become members of the Aztec Parents Association.
Make plans to attend New Student and Family Convocation on August 25, 2012. Just as commencement is a ritual marking the completion of study, convocation is a ritual that signals the beginning of a college career, and serves as the official welcome to new students and their families to the academic community. You will find this occasion to be an important transition for you and your student. Mark your calendar!
Each fall, Family Weekend is sponsored by the Aztec Parents Association. Family Weekend is a time to celebrate family, friends and SDSU! Plan to join your student, faculty, staff, campus administrators, and other Aztec Parents to experience college life, Aztec football and more!
- News for Aztec Parents magazine, mailed twice a year to your home
- A direct connection to the university when you have a question or need assistance
- E-mail communication regarding important university information
- Invitations to Association-sponsored programs and events
- Library benefits with the purchase of a special guest borrower card
- Access to Career Services at the alumni rate
- Campus discounts
- Travel discounts
- Opportunities for learning, contributing, and meeting faculty, staff, administrators and other parents
For more information about the Aztec Parents Association, call the Parent Hotline at (619) 594-1653, or visit the Aztec Parents Association Web site.