Veterans, Active Duty Military and Military Spouses
San Diego State University values its veterans, active duty military and dependent students. We will do everything in our means to assist you as you embark on an exciting academic career with us.
Who is a Transfer Student?
If you have taken any college-level classes since the summer beyond your high school graduation, you are considered a transfer student.
SDSU accepts fall 2015 transfer applications only from upper-division transfer or readmission applicants who will have completed 60 or more transferable units by the end of spring 2015. We do not accept transfer applications from lower-division students with fewer than 60 transferable semester units with the exception of military admission programs described below.
San Diego State University is not accepting applications for a second bachelor's degree except in Nursing.
Fall 2015 Admission
Applications for the fall 2015 semester and admission for upper division transfer students: The application period for the fall 2015 semester is October 1 until November 30, 2014 at www.csumentor.edu (note that you are applying to SDSU almost one year in advance of attendance). If you are active duty or a veteran and an upper division transfer student, you will receive additional consideration for admission. Subject to change, and at a minimum, you must meet the following criteria:
• 60 Units: Complete a minimum of 60 transferable semester units by the end of spring 2015. Transferable units are defined as course units that are applicable to a baccalaureate degree.
• General Education: Complete a certified package of General Education courses, to include a grade of 'C' or higher in each of the "Golden Four" GE courses by the end of spring 2015, i.e. oral communication, written communication/composition, critical thinking, and quantitative reasoning (math above the level of college intermediate algebra).
• Major Preparation: To have the highest admission priority, veterans and military applicants should have completed all major preparation courses by the end of spring 2015. For more information visit Transfer Admission Planner or www.assist.org.
• Grade Point Average: Meet and maintain the cumulative GPA required for your major. Your GPA is based on all transferable units attempted.
• Prior SDSU Coursework: If applicable, maintain a 2.0 or higher GPA for any SDSU Regular Session, Special Session, Open University or Cross Enrollment coursework. This is in addition to the cumulative GPA listed above.
• Applying for the fall 2015 semester: SDSU will accept applications from October 1 through November 30, 2014 at www.csumentor.edu. • Late Application or Appeals: SDSU will accept late applications or appeals from active duty personnel, military spouses and veterans for fall 2015 after the application deadline if you meet the above criteria. SDSU will not accept late applications or appeals from majors in Athletic Training, Television, Film and New Media-Production, Nursing, Music, Dance, Theater Arts-Performance and Theatre-Design and Technology.
Points of contact: For more information regarding the application, admission, and services for active duty military, military spouses, and veterans, contact Frank Roberts at email@example.com or Derek Abbey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SDSU President's Military Admission Program
SDSU provides direct admission opportunities for highly qualified active duty military that will soon separate from the service. This program is for undergraduate admission only and includes slots for both the fall and spring semesters (note: Majors in Athletic Training, Television, Film and New Media-Production, Nursing, Music, Dance, and Theater Arts-Performance and Theatre-Design and Technology majors are not eligible for this program for spring admission).
For eligibility and application information:
• Marine Corps: www.leadershipscholarprogram.com
• Navy (for sailors assigned within Naval Installations, Southwest): Ms. Jennifer Love, Navy College, Naval Station San Diego at Jennifer.email@example.com
• Coast Guard (for Coast Guard personnel assigned within San Diego Sector): Mr. James Sampson, Education Office, Coast Guard Station Harbor Drive at firstname.lastname@example.org
Wounded Warrior Admission Program
Wounded Warriors of any branch of service assigned within commands of Navy Medicine West may be eligible for direct admission to SDSU under this program. Two slots are available each academic year. For more information contact Frank Roberts at email@example.com.
Another way to get to SDSU
If you have few or no transferable units, we encourage you to attend a California community college to become eligible to apply as an upper-division transfer student in a future term. Counselors at any community college can assist you with an academic plan of General Education (GE) and major preparation courses.
Associate Degree for Transfer
Admission priority is given to California Community College students who complete an Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degree transfer program (AA-T/AS-T) degrees. See a list of approved AA-T/AS-T degrees. Associate Degree for Transfer applicants must meet within .1 of the grade point average (GPA) required by the major to which they are applying and follow all required enrollment steps within the deadlines.
Enlisted to Officer Commissioning Program
Military service members applying for STA-21 (Navy), MECEP (Marine Corps), or Green to Gold (Army) programs and who are interested in applying to SDSU should contact Myda Clark, Office of Admissions, for application processing information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For other questions regarding military or veterans admission and services at SDSU, contact Frank Roberts, Military Liaison Officer at email@example.com or (619) 594-0496; or Derek Abbey, Assistant Military Liaison Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org or (619) 594-0834.
SMART/AARTS/CCAF Transcript Units
Refer to the Academic Credit page under the Prospective Students > Getting In section of this website.
Other local university contacts
• University of California, San Diego: Mr. Timothy Borch (858) 822-0348 or email@example.com
• University of San Diego: Emily Knarr firstname.lastname@example.org
• California State University (CSU) San Marcos: Vicki Hernandez (760) 750-4808 or email@example.com
• SDSU Transfer Admission Planner (TAP): Determine SDSU course requirements in general education (GE) and your major, and determine potential equivalent or transferable courses from other colleges, universities or out-of-state institutions
• Assist: Determine transferable classes in GE and your major if you have attended or are attending a California community college
• California Virtual College: Determine available online courses from a clearinghouse of California community colleges
• California Community Colleges