SDSU Athletics and Veterans
The SDSU Athletics Department and Joan and Art Barron Veterans Center frequently partner to offer programs and support to the thousands of veterans and active-duty military at SDSU and in the local community.
- Since 2004, SDSU athletics has donated more than 6,000 game tickets per year (valuing more than $750,000) for distribution to the local military community through on-base ticket outlets and Navy and Marine Corps commands, including the San Diego Armed Services YMCA, the Camp Pendleton YMCA, and Marine Corps Community Services Miramar.
- In August 2008, the Aztec football team conducted its first two practices at Camp Pendleton and the team stayed there.
- The October 11, 2008 football game against Air Force was the 4th Annual GEICO Fleet Week Football Classic. SDSU partners with Fleet Week San Diego to host this event, which features a donated tailgate party for military members and their families, performances by Navy and Marine bands, military flyovers, and special recognition of wounded warriors and veterans during the game.
- On November 11, 2008, the San Diego State menís basketball team honored the Student Veteran Organization during half time.
- SDSU athletic teams have made visits to the sick and wounded in Balboa Naval Hospital, opened practices to wounded warriors, provided coaches and teams for on-base events, and judged on-base contests.