Active Duty Military, Veterans, and Military Dependents
San Diego State University values its active duty military, veterans, and military families. We will do everything in our means to assist you as you embark on an exciting academic career with us.
Who is a Transfer Student?
If you have taken any college-level classes since the summer beyond your high school graduation, you are considered a transfer student.
SDSU accepts fall 2018 transfer applications only from upper-division transfer or readmission applicants who will have completed 60 or more transferable semester units by the end of spring 2018. SDSU does not accept transfer applications from lower-division students with fewer than 60 transferable semester units with the exception of military admission programs described below.
San Diego State University is not accepting applications for a second bachelor's degree except in Nursing.
Spring 2018 Admission
Spring 2018 appeals will be considered for active duty and veterans.
Prospective students MUST be transfer eligible and MUST meet:
• 60 transferable semester hours by the end of the summer 2017 term
• The Golden Four requirements (with a C- or better) by the end of the summer 2017 term
• Have the cumulative GPA for the major you are applying to and maintain it through the end of the fall 2017 semester
No appeals will be considered in the following majors: Athletic Training, Dance, English – Applied (ADT option), Kinesiology – Exercise Generalist (ADT option), Liberal Studies – Education Generalist (ADT option), Music, Nursing, Psychology – Applied (ADT option), Social Work and Theatre Arts – Performance Acting and Musical Theatre option. Acceptance of the appeal is based on the major you desire to pursue; therefore changing of majors will NOT be permitted.
The appeal process will be open from August 1 to September 30. If you meet the above criteria, please contact The Joan and Art Barron Veterans Center at (619) 594-5813 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fall 2018 Admission
Admission for upper division transfer students: The application period for the fall 2018 semester is between October 1 and November 30, 2017, on the Cal State Apply website (note that you are applying to SDSU almost one year in advance of attendance). If you are active duty or a veteran and an upper division transfer student, you will receive additional consideration for admission. Subject to change, and at a minimum, you must meet the following criteria:
• 60 Units: Complete a minimum of 60 transferable semester units by the end of spring 2018. Transferable units are defined as course units that are applicable to a baccalaureate degree. For information regarding transferable course work, please visit www.assist.org or www.sdsu.edu/tap.
• General Education: Complete a certified package of General Education courses, with a "C-" grade or higher in each of the "Golden Four" GE courses by the end of spring 2018: oral communication, written communication/composition, critical thinking, and quantitative reasoning (math above the level of college intermediate algebra).
• Major Preparation: To have the highest admission priority, military applicants should have completed all major preparation courses by the end of spring 2018. For more information visit www.sdsu.edu/tap.
• Grade Point Average: Meet and maintain the cumulative GPA required for your major. Your GPA is based on all transferable units attempted.
• Prior SDSU Coursework: If applicable, maintain a 2.0 or higher GPA for any SDSU Regular Session, Special Session, Open University or Cross Enrollment coursework. This is in addition to the cumulative GPA listed above.
Late Application or Appeals: SDSU will accept appeals for late admission consideration from active duty military, veterans, and military dependents if you meet the above transfer criteria. Applicants must also have a compelling reason for missing the deadline. SDSU will not accept late applications or appeals from majors in Athletic Training, Dance, English-Applied (ADT option), Kinesiology- Exercise Science Generalist (ADT option), Liberal Studies-Education-Generalist (ADT option), Music, Nursing, Psychology-Applied (ADT option), Social Work and Theatre Arts-Performance Acting and Musical Theatre option. For more information regarding appeals, please visit: www.sdsu.edu/appeals.
Points of contact: For more information regarding the application, admission, and services for active duty military, veterans, and military dependents, contact The Joan and Art Barron Veterans Center at (619) 594-5813 or email@example.com.
SDSU President's Military Admission Program
SDSU provides direct admission opportunities for highly qualified active duty military who will soon separate from the service. This program is for undergraduate admission only and for both the fall and spring semesters (note: majors in majors in Athletic Training, Dance, English-Applied (ADT option), Kinesiology-Exercise Science Generalist (ADT option), Liberal Studies-Education-Generalist (ADT option), Music, Nursing, Psychology-Applied (ADT option), Social Work and Theatre Arts-Performance Acting and Musical Theatre option are not eligible for this program for spring admission).
For eligibility and application information:
• U.S. Marine Corps: Please visit your base education office or go to: www.leadershipscholarprogram.com
• U.S. Navy: Program is under revision
• U.S. Coast Guard: LT Schleck, Sector San Diego at Christopher.J.Schleck@uscg.mil or (619) 278-7020.
Wounded Warrior Admission Program
Sick, ill or injured service personnel of any branch of service assigned within commands of Navy Medicine West or with U.S. Special Operations Command Care Coalition may be eligible for direct admission to SDSU under this program. Two slots are available each academic year. For more information contact The Joan and Art Barron Veterans Center at (619) 594-5813 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other Admission Information
Freshmen applicants with no transferable college units: Admission is extremely competitive for first-time freshman (no college-level classes ) applicants. Freshman applicants must complete a 15-unit comprehensive pattern of college preparatory courses in high school, must have a competitive high school GPA and competitive SAT and/or ACT test scores to be eligible for admission. For more information on first-time freshman admission requirements, go to: http://arweb.sdsu.edu/es/admissions/freshmen/index.html
Lower-Division applicants: If you have fewer than 60 transferable semester units by the spring term prior to fall transfer, we encourage you to attend a California community college to become eligible to apply to SDSU as an upper division transfer student in a future term. Counselors at any community college can assist you with an academic plan of General Education (GE) and major preparation courses.
Associate Degree for Transfer
Admission priority is given to California community college students who complete an Associate in Arts or Associate in Science for Transfer (AA-T/AS-T) degree. See a list of approved AA-T/AS-T degrees. Associate Degree for Transfer applicants must meet within .1 of the grade point average (GPA) required by the major to which they are applying and follow all required enrollment steps within the deadlines.
Enlisted to Officer Commissioning Program
Military service members applying for STA-21 (Navy), MECEP (Marine Corps), or Green to Gold (Army) programs and who are interested in applying to SDSU should contact Myda Clark, Office of Admissions, for application processing information at email@example.com.
For information regarding College Student Pre-Commissioning Initiative (CSPI) for the U.S. Coast Guard, please visit: www.gocoastguard.com or contact (619) 226-8222. For other questions regarding military or veterans admission and services at SDSU, contact The Joan and Art Barron Veterans Center at (619) 594-5813 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Refer to the Academic Credit page under the Current Students > Campus Policies section of this website.
Other local university contacts
• University of California, San Diego: Timothy Borch (858) 822-0348 or email@example.com
• California State University (CSU) San Marcos: Vicki Hernandez (760) 750-4808 or firstname.lastname@example.org
• University of San Diego (USD): Derek Abbey (619) 260-5945 or email@example.com
• Point Loma Nazarene: Chad Lozier (619) 849-2707 or ChadLozier@pointloma.edu
• SDSU Transfer Admission Planner (TAP): Determine SDSU course requirements in general education (GE) and your major, and determine potential equivalent or transferable courses from other colleges, universities or out-of-state institutions
• ASSIST: Determine transferable classes in GE and your major if you have attended or are attending a California community college
• California Virtual College: Determine available online courses from a clearinghouse of California community colleges
• California Community Colleges