Fall 2013 Freshman Admission Criteria
San Diego State University accepts freshman applications each year between October 1 and November 30 for admission the following fall. Get started by reviewing the admission criteria below, and then find out how to apply.
Who Counts as a Freshman?
You can apply to SDSU as a first-time freshman if you have:
- Not yet graduated high school
- Graduated high school, but not taken college courses since the summer after graduation
Note that as a first-time freshman, you are required to live in on-campus housing for your first year if you are from outside SDSU's local admission area or are a participant in the University Honors Program.
How Freshman Applicants Are Ranked
We consider freshman applications on the basis of the following criteria:
- Completion of a–g courses: As a first-time freshman applicant, you must complete, with grades of C or higher, the 15-unit comprehensive pattern of college preparatory courses. See the list of a–g courses.
- Eligibility index (GPA and test scores): The eligibility index is the combination of your high school grade point average and your SAT/ACT test scores. All California State University campuses use the eligibility index as part of the admission decision. Calculate your eligibility index.
- The major to which you apply: You must choose a major when you apply to SDSU. All majors are competitive, meaning every major has more applicants than available slots (the CSU calls this impaction). During admission we rank applicants within each major, rather than overall. The popularity of majors changes every year based on the applicant pool. Because admission is major-specific, you cannot change your major during the application process.
What Happens Next
Over the next few months, special attention will be given to reviewing each application. Notices of admission will be sent by mid March.
To accept an offer of admission, you must submit the online Intent to Enroll deposit and official transcripts with fall 2012 grades by May 1, 2013. You will also separately submit final official transcripts with spring 2013 term grades postmarked by July 15, 2013.
In the meantime, there are steps you can take to make sure you have a smooth admissions experience:
- Review all of the information to the left before you are notified of SDSU's admission decision.
- Check your admission status periodically through the SDSU WebPortal. If you have not already done so, you will first need to activate your WebPortal account using your RedID number. Your RedID will be e-mailed to you within two weeks of applying to SDSU.
- Keep your email and mailing addresses updated.
Keep Your Grades Up!
Admission is based on self-reported information from your CSUMentor application. Once you are provisionally admitted, we will verify this information against your official transcript. Please make sure to report accurate information.
Your admission may be rescinded for reasons such as the following:
- Your GPA, test scores or course grades are lower than what you reported on the application
- You miss any admission deadlines
- You earn D or F grades in any coursework (not just a–g courses) taken during your senior year
- You misreported or did not complete a required course