Fall 2015 International Freshman
Application Filing Period
San Diego State University accepts international first-time freshman applications between October 1 and May 1 for the following fall admission. International students who are attending a U.S. high school must apply by November 30. SDSU does not offer spring admission.
Students who request the Music, Dance, Theatre Arts (Performance), and Nursing majors must apply by November 30. An audition will be required of applicants to the Music, Dance and Theatre Arts majors.
SDSU does not accept applications for student's seeking a second bachelor's degree, except in Nursing.
Who is a Freshman?
You can apply to SDSU as a first-time freshman if you have:
- Not yet graduated high school
- Not taken any college courses since high school graduation
First-time international freshman applicants are reviewed on the following admission criteria:
- Completion of high school/secondary level. A certified copy of graduation certificate or diploma will be required prior to enrollment at SDSU.
- A minimum U.S. equivalent GPA (grade point average) of 3.0 or higher (B grade or about 80% or higher).
- English Proficiency: Applicants who have attended a high school where English was not the primary language of instruction must meet university-level competence in English through one of the following:
- TOEFL - Passing score is 80 iBT/550 paper.
- IELTS - Passing overall score of 6.5 or higher.
- SDSU's American Language Institute's Level 106 course - Must earn an overall 3.0 GPA or higher.
- SAT / ACT Tests: International applicants attending a U.S. high school or an overseas U.S. accredited high school are required to submit either SAT or ACT test scores.
*If you have earned ANY college or university credit (foreign or domestic), you are considered a transfer student and must meet the CSU transfer admission requirements.
**All first-year freshmen are required to live in on-campus housing for their first year at SDSU.