San Diego State University


At the time of admission to the university, each undergraduate student is assigned to a pre-major or major field or curriculum, or is designated as an undeclared major. After registration, all students wishing to change their major or curriculum should check with the department of their intended major for requirements and filing periods. The same form and process is used to declare a major or minor, or change your existing major or minor.

Follow these steps to declare or change to a new major:

  1. Obtain a "Declaration of Major or Minor" form in person from either Office of the Registrar, Office of Advising and Evaluations, or the department of your new major.
  2. Complete your student information and take the form to the department of the major or minor you wish to declare. They will fill out the rest of the information and provide you with the major code.
  3. Return the form to the Office of the Registrar.

We will update your major immediately. If you mail us the form or drop it in our in-box, allow 48 hours for the change to take effect. Upon change or declaration of major, students must adopt the requirements of the major and any minors in effect at that time.