INCOMPLETE "I" AGREEMENT
Per Senate policy:
"An incomplete shall signify that a portion of required course work has not been completed and evaluated in the prescribed time period due to unforeseen, but fully justified, reasons and that there is still a possibility of earning credit. It shall be the student's responsibility to bring pertinent information to the instructor and to reach agreement on the means by which the remaining course requirements shall be satisfied."
- When an incomplete grade is assigned it must have an incomplete agreement on file with the department.
- The “I” Agreement form will automatically “pop-up” for faculty when assigning an “I” on the WebPortal. The “I” agreement must be completed before the “I” can be officially assigned for a student.
- Once the “I” agreement is submitted, a copy of the agreement will be stored in the SDSU WebPortal under the “Incomplete Agreement” menu for faculty, and the department to review. The student will be notified by email that he/she can review the “I” agreement in their SDSU WebPortal account under the “My Grades” menu.
- Faculty and student agree on the terms of the agreement.
- Completion of the "I" agreement should only entail the completion of a project, paper or exam.
- Students should never have to “sit in” or retake the course.
- Students must be in good standing in the course - Incompletes are not an alternative to a student failing a course.
- Senate policy allows one year for completion. However, faculty can set any time limit within that one year for completion.
- Completion of the grade must be completed by the deadline specified on the "I" agreement.
- Once the assigned work is completed and submitted by the student, the instructor must change the “I” to the appropriate grade using the “Grade Change” function on the SDSU WebPortal.
- If the “I” remains on the student record for over one calendar year, the “I” will be automatically charged. An incomplete charge (IC) is equivalent to an “F” grade, and will negatively affect a student’s grade point average and progress point computation.
Important: If the student fails to fulfill the “I” agreement terms by the deadline, the instructor should update the “I” to the appropriate final grade using the “Grade Change” function in their SDSU WebPortal account.
If you have any other questions feel free to contact:
The Office of the Registrar
Grades Help Desk
Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–4 p.m.